Tuesday 14 August 2018

When I became a mother…


Before Teddy was born I had very few expectations for the sort of mother I’d become. I was never really the clucky type, always a little awkward around the children of others and quick to retreat at an offer to hold a newborn for fear of doing it wrong.

But I so desperately wanted a baby to call my own – to unleash some semblance of maternal instinct (surely I had something to work off?) and give motherhood my best shot.


I was excited. I knew that it would be an adventure. That with every hiccup would come a life lesson. If I came up short, I’d do my utmost to get better.

I lacked the self-confidence of some expectant mums. There was no plan. I made no pledges to be a calm/strict/eco mum. I was just going to be me (ideally the good version – the one that stressed less often).

Mr R and I took a punt in deciding the best way to prepare was to not prepare at all – no books, no secret Mumsnet scrolling. Looking at it from the other side now, it was the perfect approach for us to take. Because it’s impossible to draw up a blueprint of the type of parents we’ll be until we’re knee-deep in the moment. Nothing compares.



The first time I saw Teddy’s face, it was as if his image had been locked in my mind all along. He looked so familiar. I vividly remember lifting him up out of the water to cradle him in my arms and feeling so at ease with him. So complete. Our missing piece was here. And I realised then that I became a mother long before his birth – that instinct I feared was lacking had been there since the moment I found out I was pregnant. Because since that day I had never been alone – there had been another life to put first, to love and nurture. And that is all being a mum requires.

Our life before parenthood is becoming an ever distant memory (I say this with a smile not a grimace – we were ready for change). There have been more tears and tantrums than there once were, a few heated tete-a-tetes… We’ve been tested beyond measure but have loved unconditionally. Perspectives have fallen into focus, sleep continues to elude us and what was already a happy family unit feels stronger than ever.


Next month, our fluffy-haired bundle turns one. The baby years are short, tearing by at breakneck speed. But with every last time comes a first to celebrate (our final breastfeed was marched out with Teddy’s first proper assisted steps). Still, I’ve had a few weepy moments this week, finally getting around to packing away his newborn clothes, catching my breath at how much he’s grown – how we’ve managed to raise such a happy, vibrant child (against all odds…?). Each day I look at him I think I can’t possibly love him any more, knowing that tomorrow I somehow will.

I’m immensely proud of what Mr R and I have achieved and what Teddy has taught us. And as the final pages of this first chapter reach their conclusion, I’m eager to see what the next has in store for our little gang. First on the agenda: a new life in the country (more on that to follow…).

Motherhood is intense, testing and utterly spellbinding, and it has taught me more about my own self than I ever could have imagined. It’s a gift for which I will forever be grateful.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Ted & Ginger
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig