Tuesday 13 February 2018

Swapping 'the pump' for a bump – prenatal fitness tips




My life before motherhood was an active one. Morning yoga, gym five days a week, a run or bike ride at the weekend… I was – am – one of those irritating people who actually enjoys working out.

But when I discovered I was pregnant, I rashly called time on my fitness habit, fearful that my baby might somehow drop out if I moved too vigourously.

An unnecessary – and brief – hiatus, it turned out.



I lasted a week before I pulled on my trainers again and went for a tentative jog.

Happily, the advice served out to expectant mothers these days is contrary to the almost bed rest orders of yesteryear. Now midwives encourage physical activity in pregnancy for the health of mum and baby, and gyms and trainers are tuned into the wants, needs and safety requirements of women working out with a bump in tow.

After a lot of research and guidance from my midwife and some top prenatal fitness experts (perk of the day job), I was able to find my pregnancy-fit stride and keep moving until the day Teddy was born.

Of course, some things had to give or ease up considerably. My pelvic floor couldn’t hack the pressure running put on it after 20 weeks, I tired more quickly than I was used to and some exercises became physically impossible – an elbow plank became more of a seesaw thanks to my rotund front.

I was the only person at the gym whose waistline was growing, attracting attention from both the cheerleading and the bemused. But it helped me feel like me – like I was doing something positive for my growing baby and his impending birth.

I felt stronger than I did before and was lucky enough to dodge much of the discomfort and weight gain associated with pregnancy. And I’m convinced it gave me the stamina I needed for childbirth.

Now I’m an authority on nothing but my own experience and heartily advise that you speak to your midwifery team and a fitness expert if you have any questions regarding your own exercise plan – every pregnancy and every body is different. But as for what I learnt about staying active in pregnancy, here are my top tips…



FOCUS ON THE FEELING, NOT THE SHAPE
Working out to ‘get ripped’ is entirely fruitless while pregnant. Nobody is interested in whether you have buns of steel and guns to be reckoned with – your beautiful bump and mama-to-be glow is what they’ll credit you for.
For me, an expanding waistline took some getting used to, especially in the first trimester when it was less bump more bloat. But by turning my attention to how I felt while exercising rather than nitpicking over my changing silhouette, I became comfortable with my new shape. That rush of post-exercise endorphins mixed with a surge of pregnancy hormones makes for a heady mood-boosting cocktail.

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY
Craving a run? Go for it, but don’t chastise yourself for keeping a slower pace than you once did or for cutting the distance. Your body knows what it’s capable of better than the memory of what once was. It’s growing a human after all.

FIND AN ALTERNATIVE
Most midwives prefer it if you lock up your bicycle while pregnant due to the risk of toppling off it. But that’s not to say you can’t stay in the cycling habit. Spinning is a pregnancy-safe, low-impact cardio exercise that will keep you firmly in the saddle and raise your heart rate gradually (as is the advice). Just be sure to tell the instructor that you’re pregnant so they can keep an eye on you and suggest adjustments when required.

THINK POSTURE
Carrying a hefty bump puts pressure on your joints and can lead to back pain if the surrounding muscles aren’t strong enough to support it. Bodyweight or light-weight compound moves such as squats are great for strengthening your thighs, bum and lower back. They’ll also stand you in good stead if you decide to give birth while upright.

JOIN A CLASS
A growing number of gyms and leisure centres are now offering pregnancy-specific classes, and YouTube and social media are both awash with prenatal exercise tips and moves. Check out Mumhood and Bumps and Burpees on Instagram for inspiration.

WALK THIS WAY
If you’ve neither the time nor the inclination to hit the gym, heading out for a brisk walk (or waddle) each day is a great way to keep moving and will go some way towards quelling the immeasurable irritation of fidgety legs.

STRONG MIND, STRONG BODY
I love yoga and have practised it almost daily for a number of years now. But I think it really came into its own while I was pregnant. Not only does it go hand in hand with hypnobirthing, helping to reduce stress and anxiety and cultivating a healthy outlook, but it also strengthens muscles in a gentle but effective way and helps to open the hips – useful, very useful.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Ted & Ginger
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig