Tuesday 27 February 2018

Postnatal fitness – 5 quick workouts for new mums




Forget ‘bounce back’, think gradual deflate. Make way for a marshmallow belly where once a perfectly taut bump resided. And expect things to wobble in an unfamiliar way. For a little while, at least.

This is the reality of a postpartum body. Prod it, celebrate it, be grateful you can see your toes again! But don’t feel you must commit to it as a form of life sentence. A little movement can go a long way in helping you shift back into a more familiar shape.



I have new-found respect for my own body after growing and delivering Teddy. Giving birth will forever be my biggest physical achievement (I reckon 19 hours of labour is at least on par with running a half marathon…?). And while I’m still a tad soft-centred with a bum that has developed what can only be described as a slouch, I’m proud of how my frame adapted in pregnancy and labour to support my baby’s and my needs.

For now, I’m OK in my slightly saggier skin – I know that in time and with a little effort on my part things will start to shrink back. I certainly have no celebrity-fuelled (read: unrealistic) goals to have washboard abs by the time Teddy is six months old. In fact, the prospect is laughable. Rather, my focus is on regaining strength and fitness in the name of good health – the aesthetics will naturally follow.

Readers of my previous post will remember that I exercised throughout my pregnancy (find my prenatal fitness tips here), so I’m picking up an old habit rather than starting a new. The difference now, though, is that my time is no longer my own. Gone are the days of lengthy gym sessions and quiet yoga flows – I have neither the childcare nor the funds (cheers SMP) to commit to a club membership.

So in the months since my GP gave me the thumbs up to start exercising again, I’ve been attempting to shoehorn a little effective activity into my days. Something that helps me to feel energised, even when sleep is elusive. Just 15 to 20 minutes does the trick – enough time for me to work up a sweat but not so long Teddy gets bored of watching his mother do jumping jacks in a super-strength sports bra.

YouTube has been my saviour. It hosts an incredible catalogue of short workouts, but finding quality among the quantity can often be a bit of a minefield. That said, there are some absolute gems out there and – bonus – they’re FREE!

Here are my tried and tested top five fitness channels for new mums who are ready to get moving again…



FOR EASING INTO EXERCISE – JESSICA SMITH TV
With a generous catalogue of beginner workouts and gentle barre and walking-based videos, this is a great place to start in the initial weeks of returning to exercise. Because no matter what your head might be telling you, it’s unlikely your body will be ready to jump straight into a HiiT workout.

FOR MOVES THAT MOTIVATEPMA FITNESS
Faisal Abdalla has positivity in spades – he’s a modern day Mr Motivator without the dodgy unitard. His 10–20 minute workouts do as much to shape your body as they do carve a healthy outlook. ‘Positive mental attitude’ is his catchphrase, and when you’re feeling sleep deprived or lacklustre his videos are the perfect pick-me-up.

FOR FINDING THE BALANCEYOGA WITH ADRIENE
These days there are three on my yoga mat. Unless I wait until Teddy has gone to bed to fit in a flow, he takes prime position at the top of the mat while Harper inevitably makes whatever space I free up her snooze spot – downward dog takes on a whole new dimension. Adriene Mishler, my YouTube yoga teacher, acknowledges that people come to their mats with baggage – literal or otherwise – and makes space for it. She teaches in a way that makes yoga accessible for all, from newbies to seasoned yogis. I highly recommend her 30 day series (of which there are four) as a gentle way to get into postnatal exercise.

FOR HIITING IT HARD – THE BODY COACH TV
Joe Wicks (aka The Body Coach) is the king of efficient exercising. His 15–20 minute high intensity interval training videos are perfect for getting the job done. Intense, yes, but they’re as good as any pricey gym class and cost nothing but as much effort as you can muster to get through them.

FOR WHEN YOU HAVE MORE TIME ON YOUR HANDS – FITNESS BLENDER
On the rare occasion Teddy naps while I’m minded to exercise, I tune into Fitness Blender and attempt a longer workout. Most of the videos here are 30 minutes or over and verge on the more advanced in terms of stamina and agility, but there are a few shorter lower-intensity routines too.

Please consult your GP or a fitness professional before taking up postnatal exercise. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Ted & Ginger
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig