Friday 15 December 2017

Creating festive family traditions


Our Christmas tree fell over this week. Twice. Add to this a handmade wreath felled just hours after hanging thanks to an unprecedented dumping of snow, my festive cheer was teetering.

Deep breath, move on.

My rational self tells me it is, after all, just a tree (never mind that it was the White Company baubles and not the Ikea copycats that shattered). No one was hurt, it was easily fixed etc etc.

But the sentimental (or perhaps hormonal) part of me wants everything to be perfect – this year more than any. Not only is this our first Christmas as parents, but it’s also the first time we’ve decided to stay home and do it our way. Both mine and Mr R’s families live up north, and much as we love celebrating the big day with them it feels like the right time to break that tradition and start a new.

There’s no funny in perfection, though, is there? Perhaps a wobbly tree and a diminishing number of decorations will be our thing’? And what’s Christmas without just a little chaos.

But I do have some ideas to at least try and weave into our festivities this year and in those to follow. Traditions I hope, one day, Teddy will associate with our family Christmases and look forward to.

Some are old, some are brand new and others a tad ambitious. Perhaps they’ll inspire your own family rituals, too…




THE BUILD UP
DIY DECS
Despite the aforementioned collapse, I do enjoy having a go at making a wreath – not least to save myself a bit of cash in the process. We’re lucky enough to have the countryside on our doorstep, so gathering provisions was easy and free – thank goodness given that most of it is now on the floor.  Better luck next year?

CHRISTMAS LIGHTS
A tradition already well established. For the past 10 years or so Mr R and I have visited the stunning display on Bond Street, and last week we took Teddy in for his first look at them. Our little town goes all out too, with classic festoon bulbs and fairy lights strewn along the high street. There’s no better way to get into the festive spirit.

TO MARKET, TO MARKET
Roasted chestnuts and mulled wine at a Christmas market – YES! Even in the rain those sweet wooden huts selling festive wares and fare make me feel like I’m back in Bruges. Sadly Belgium isn’t on the cards this year, but we have St Albans and London on our doorstep, both with excellent markets to explore.

A SPECIAL CHRISTMAS CARD
I was too disorganised to write cards for all our family and friends this year, but I am aiming to set aside time to write something for Teddy, to be opened when he’s 18. The idea: each Christmas Mr R or I will write him a letter specific to that year, which we’ll store away in a memory box ready to be gifted when he’s older – a sort of journal of Christmases past. Hopefully it won’t seem too uncool to him when the time comes to open them all.

BAKE OFF
I’m a bit of a mince pie snob – the shop-bought ones just don’t match up to those my granny used to make (too much pastry, not enough filling). So this year I’ll be wielding my rolling pin and attempting to make my own over the Christmas weekend – any earlier and they’ll all have been eaten. One day this will be something I do with Ted, but for now he’ll have to watch me from his rocker chair.

CAROLS
I’d love to say we’ll be heading out carolling as a family, but I fear no one would open their door to us. Each year I do try to make it to a carol service to hear the pros in full voice, and quietly hum along…




THE EVE
OUT TO BRUNCH
I’m initiating a no-cook rule for Christmas Eve. There’ll be enough time spent watching over hot pans the following day, so from hereon in The Eve will be a day to be wined and dined elsewhere. We’ve lucked out with it landing on a weekend this year – no work for him and the perfect excuse for me to indulge my love of a good Sunday brunch. A thick slab of sourdough slathered with smashed avocado and topped with a couple of poached eggs, Bing Crosby playing in the background and maybe a mimosa on the side… Ah, Christmas.

FROSTY WALKS AND FESTIVE FILMS
Of course there’s no guarantee of frost, but regardless we’ll be bundling ourselves up and heading out for a long walk with the pup. Then it’ll be home to watch The Snowman (a must) with a cuppa and one of those homemade mince pies, assuming they don’t go the same way the wreath did…

PREPPING FOR THE FEAST
I used to love watching my dad make the kitchen his castle on Christmas Eve, peeling the veg and talking all things turkey. The kitchen chez Ranson is the size of a postage stamp leaving no room for spectators, but there’s something almost therapeutic about whiling away an hour in there getting stuff done – that sense of anticipation of the feast ahead and assurance that there will be fewer tasks on the to do list.

STORY TIME
I’ve always adored that Christmas-card-perfect scene of a family snuggled together reading a book, and if you’re going to read anything on Christmas Eve it might as well be the classic poem ’Twas The Night Before Christmas. We have this beautiful hardback version, which I hope to bring out each year.

THE ULTIMATE CHEESEBOARD
Mr R drew the line at splashing out £50 on matching pyjamas, but strangely he has no qualms with hunkering down to a spread of cheese and cured meat once Teddy has gone to bed, washed down with a glug or two of port. Plus points: still no cooking required and minimal washing up. I’m assured the heartburn will be worth it.



THE BIG DAY
STOCKINGS & BREAKFAST IN BED
All of us – the pup included – opening gifts and tucking into a stack of pancakes in bed. It will likely result in spilled coffee, crumbs on Ted’s head and food somehow finding it’s way into Harper’s mouth (all regular happenings), but I reckon it will be the perfect way to begin our first Christmas as a family.

A COSY PUB
Dog walked, turkey in – time for a tipple, don’t you think? Mr R and I have long been frequenting a local pub on Christmas Day. There’s always such a wonderful atmosphere, a mix of familiar faces and total strangers sharing good wishes. Usually it’s a place both our families gather to raise a glass together, and I know this is what I’ll miss most about not being with them this year.

GIFTS BEFORE GRUB
A blended tradition. Mr R’s childhood Christmases involved a mass present opening before breakfast, whereas in my family it was stockings in the morning and – wait for it – gifts in the evening. We’re meeting in the middle on this one and saving some of our gifts for opening later in the day, to extend the surprises a little.

DIVIDE & CONQUER
The bird and roasties are Mr R’s domain – I’m on starter and sides (and am watching Jamie Oliver Christmas re-runs on loop to prepare). We figured this way it would save one of us spending much of the afternoon alone in the kitchen. I’m hoping sharing the load won’t end up a recipe for disaster…

AFTER DINNER GAMES
Scrabble is off the table since Mr R deemed DAVID’ an acceptable way to bag a triple word score last time we played. But a game less likely to cause a row will be a welcome way to round off the feast. When Ted is older, I’ll be taking a leaf out of my parents book and buying him a board game each year – I have such fond childhood memories of the grown-ups gathering round the table to play whatever game Santa had delivered for my sister and me.

SITCOMS BEFORE BED
We’ll have an early start this Boxing Day as that’s when we’ll be journeying north to see our wider family, so we won’t be too late to bed. But there’s always time for an episode of Only Fools And Horses… perhaps with a turkey sarnie and one last glass of port in hand.

Merry Christmas – I hope you have a lovely one.
x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Ted & Ginger
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig